Friday, September 15, 2006

Say goodnight and go

I'll just give a big Colorado welcome to myself after a long hiatus from the world of internet blogging. Yes, Colorado. That's where I live now. People ask me why I moved back; my ansewer? "Why not?" This is the type of thing you're supposed to do when you're 24, have no significant other, illegitimate children, or any semblance of clue of what to do with your life. Mountains? Why not? 105 degrees and humidity? No thanks.

I have a hard time making major decisions in my life often times. I struggle so much with figuring out The Thing I'm Supposed to Do, seeing my life's journey as a tight rope I have to try and balance, staying exactly on The Path of Destiny. The older I get (yeah, so I'm only 24), the more I realize that it is so much more a Choose Your Own Adventure book. This explains so much why I create so much stress for myself. As a kid, when I read those, I had to know every single possible conclusion. I had to read every adventure, know everything that could possibly happen in order to choose the best adventure. Real life does not work that way, however, which is a good thing!

I have to learn to just DO something. Be ok with making a mistake. I think it is foolishness (and perhaps even prideful) to think that we can always make the best decision all the time. I could have stayed in Texas and worked at Geico, or I could move to Colorado with no job and hope things turned out for the better. And they HAVE! God provided an amazing job for me within a week of being here; a job I really enjoy. What a novel concept. I could never have known what lied ahead had I not just packed up my car and started driving. I also think that I could have stayed in Dallas, worked at Geico, and probably been fine. But not quite as happy. I just don't want to live my life looking back, wondering "what if....".

I heard someone say the other day that there is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror. Look forward! Choose your OWN adventure! Trust that God is right along with you, ready to take the adventure with you, to bless, to provide, to delight, just because you're His.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have been willing to take YOUR adventure in bravery. As someone who is into WAY less cooler music than you...."Saddle up your horses..."

Anonymous said...

I had to know all the endings, too! I hated those books. What if you missed one of the combinations?! Pretty telling of how I try to live my life, I guess.

I'm so glad you stepped out. So here's to us psycho planners, who are taking risks and maybe making not so perfect choices...No regrets, because we are Living the Adventure!

Anonymous said...

Being an authority on the center of the music universe....I'd have to suggest....