Friday, December 09, 2005

Decisions, decisions

I'm discovering I have great difficulty in my life when it comes to making big decisions. I tend to overspiritualize everything. I'm so afraid to make the "wrong" decision that it takes me months to figure out what I should do. I pray and fast hoping for some sort of sign from God and then when I don't see writing on the wall, I freak out and end up making no decision at all.

When it comes to shopping or what beverage I should order at Starbucks I have no problems. I don't see the point in trying on 20 pairs of jeans and taking an hour to decide which ones make my butt look best. If I don't find something I want in a store in under 20 minutes, I'm usually out. It's not worth the time and I don't leave upset and in turmoil over the fact that I didn't choose anything.

However, it's the bigger things that stump me. I'm not really implying that I should treat big life decisions like a pair of jeans and pick something in 20 minutes, but shouldn't it be just a bit easier than I make it? Maybe God just wants us to pick something and get on with our lives. Maybe everything isn't as spiritual as I make it and I should just go with what feels best. People in the Bible had it so easy. God did actually write on walls, or send 10ft angels, or send a prophet to your front door.

I was watching "The Preacher's Wife" on TV the other day and I sent a little prayer up to the Lord. I said "Lord, if you're not going to send me an angel with specific instructions about my life plan, then can you just send me Denzel Washington?"

So what's the verdict? Roll the dice and just go with what feels right, or wait for writing on the wall that may or may not come?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

when in doubt, and forced to decide, I choose whichever falls into the most of these catagories:
1) Good for me
2) Challenging
3) Fun/adventurous option
4) somewhat reasonable
5) I want to do it

good luck, and may the force be with you.

Anonymous said...

i lean more toward going with what you want/think is right, and having an open heart that so the Lord can redirect you if it's not best. if we overspiritualize things, or freak out about having to make THE RIGHT choice, we never move anywhere. if we're moving, He can guide and direct.

i think of it like peter...he was sort of the blurt out the answer, overzealous, jump to conclusions kind of guy...and he was often corrected by Jesus. but if you don't try, how will you learn? if you're afraid of being wrong, you're stuck. if you're willing to take risks, i think the Lord can redirect your overzealousness.

(i'm so excited that i get to reply, finally! i'm now officially a fan)

Anonymous said...

so i think you should write more. you interst me.

Anonymous said...

and let me type correctly and spell my name right.
*interest
*Caralyn
such a shame