Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Still haven't found what I'm looking for

I'm not sure what it is about this age, mid-20's. It seems that there should be some sort of support group for those of us who are single, out of college, and either starting a professional career or looking for one. It's such a weird time. I thought college was bizarre, but it doesn't even compare to this.

I am trying to answer all these huge life questions, while trying to maintain that I've already figured them all out. I've never had so many deep, long discussions about the meaning of life, and what my core values are, and what I want to do, and who I want to be. And they aren't debate-like discussions where I state what I believe and the other person responds. It's more of a dialogue where he/she will say something that makes me say "Yeah, that's what I want too!" or "No, I don't follow that at all." I'm not talking about changing truth, but I feel like I'm beginning to formulate who it is that I am and who I want to be.

I know that it is a priority to me to always have close and intimate friendships in my life no matter if I'm married or single. We can make it without people who know us and who help us through crappy times and keep us accountable. I see too many married couples today who seem to be content with just having each other. That is not going to cut it for me. I want a group of friends who go out on Friday nights and do dinner. Who share life experiences and are vulnerable. I don't want surfacy friends that I see once a week at church in passing as we drop our kids off at Sunday school. Or ones that I make small talk with at soccer practice. I think this is a huge issue with our culture these days. No one has true friendship anymore. The church has tried to remedy this with small groups, but I question whether that has even worked. I know people who go to small groups and still don't have any true friends that they are real with. I know life gets busy with jobs and kids and whatever else, but we make time for what is important to us and this is important to me.

This isn't the most well-written blog ever, but thanks for reading anyway.

2 comments:

Adam Wright said...

Once you're married, you will change the way you see friendship and the way you see your self.

I waited until I was 31 to get married. And wwhen i got married things did change. Slowly they changed.

When I was in my 20's, no matter what was going on, I always had a friend to call, do something with or just talk.

Now I'm married five years, three kids and friends change. I have my friends and my wife has her friends and we have some couple we can do things with. But when there's kids ball practice, homework to help with, a lawn to mow and laundry that just never ends, things change.

But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't change the way things are for anything. Kids are wonderful. My wife is my best friend. And I enjoy everyday.

I enjoyed reading your post today. I may be back.

Unknown said...

Lisa, looks like you have a fan. Fans are good. They are great for validating your crazy thoughts and motivating you to get them out more often.
FYI, I am a fan, of yours. Yes, Lisa, will you be my friend? Good.
Seriously, you have a great dialogue going here, and I wish you posted more often.